John A. Young
John Young's practice involves the general representation of municipalities and other political subdivisions on zoning and land use, administrative law matters, and other matters faced by municipalities and political subdivisions. John regularly serves as counsel to public governmental bodies, planning and zoning commissions and boards of adjustment, and advises municipalities in the drafting and interpretation of ordinances and resolutions. John's experience includes consulting municipalities on annexations and Sunshine Law compliance; the drafting and interpretation of municipal codes, comprehensive zoning ordinances, transect zoning codes and signage regulations; and has negotiated complex private-public partnerships representing millions of dollars of development.
John has presented seminars as a lecturer on various topics of municipal interest for the Missouri Municipal League, the Missouri Municipal Attorney's Association, Municipal Attorneys' Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, the Missouri Bar Association, the American Planners Association, and the Missouri City Clerks and Finance Officers Association.
In addition to his professional representation of municipalities, John was instrumental in the establishment of the City of O'Fallon as a Charter City serving as the Chairman of the O'Fallon Charter Commission.
John also represents clients in the private sector in general corporate, real estate, zoning and land use matters, as well as public-private real estate development. John has consulted clients in the establishment and governance of multiple public finance entities such as Transportation Development Districts and Community Improvement Districts.
John graduated cum laude from the Loyola University New Orleans School of Law where he participated in international and national moot court competitions and served as the Comment/Casenote Editor for the Loyola Law Review.
- General Municipal Representation
- Special District Representation
- Land Use and Development
- Business Formation and Corporate Law
- Loyola University New Orleans School of Law, New Orleans, Louisiana
- J.D. – 2003
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: International Legal Studies’ Certificate
- Honors: Willem C. Vis International Commercial Law Arbitration Moot Team
- Honors: Tulane Sports Law Moot Court Team
- Honors: William S. Crowe, Sr. Scholar
- Honors: Member, St. Thomas More Chapter, American Inns of Court
- Marquette University
- B.A. – 1999
- Honors: Alpha Sigma Nu (Jesuit Honor Society)
- Honors: Kappa Tau Alpha (Journalism and Mass Communication Honor Society)
- Honors: Recipient, International Television Association Award
- Honors: Telly Award, Noncommercial Television Production
- Major: Broadcast and Electronic Communications
- American Bar Association, Member, Local Government Law Committee
- The Missouri Bar
- Missouri Municipal Attorneys Association, President, 2019-2020, Board of Directors, 2015-Present
- Municipal Attorneys’ Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Illinois State Bar Association
- St. Charles County Bar Association
- American Inns of Court
- Best Lawyers in America: Land Use and Zoning Law, and Municipal Law
- O’Fallon Citizen of Achievement - General Category
- St. Charles Business Magazine - 40 Under 40
- O’Fallon Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Chairman, 2021, Board of Directors, 2017-Present
- City of O’Fallon Comprehensive Plan Advisory Committee, 2020-Present
- O’Fallon Charter Commission, Chairman, 2008 to 2009
- Healthy Communities St. Charles, Board of Directors, 2006 to 2010
- St. Charles Banking Center of Citizens National Bank, Community Director, 2008 to 2011
- Leadership O’Fallon, Class of 2003-2004