Matthew J. Fairless
Matt Fairless practices litigation on a wide range of matters, including medical and legal malpractice, municipal, condemnation, criminal, construction and general commercial and business matters.
Mr. Fairless has tried cases or assisted in trials on complex commercial, criminal, professional malpractice, construction and product liability matters.
Prosecuted claims of plaintiff construction firm for breach of contract, fraud and enforcement of mechanics' lien. Week-long jury trial results in verdict for plaintiff on all claims and on counterclaims of defendant for over $170,000.00.
Prosecuted claim of plaintiff construction firm relating to breach of contract, negligent misrepresentation and fraud claims against co-developer, engineering firm and grading contractor relating to residential development in St. Louis County. Settled before trial for $220,000.00.
Defended municipality against equal protection and Hancock Amendment claims. Three-day bench trial results in judgment in favor of municipality. Affirmed on appeal.
Defended municipality against equal protection and violation of bidding rules claims relating to convention center projects in St. Charles County. Summary judgment in favor of municipality.
Prosecuted on behalf of municipality claims against insurer for damages including good faith claims. Settled before trial for $120,000.00.
Defended in numerous proceedings issues relating to claims on shareholders' derivative suits, claims of successor liability, breach of contract, tortious interference with contract, negligent misrepresentation, fraud and indemnification.
- Professional Liability Defense
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction/Real Estate Litigation
- University of Missouri Columbia School of Law, Columbia, Missouri
- J.D. - 1991
- University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri
- B.A. - 1988
- Honors: With Honors
- Major: English and Economics
- Missouri, 1991
- Illinois, 1992
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri, 1992
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- "The Participant Status of Sole Shareholders Under ERISA", 55 Missouri Law Review 1021, 1990
- "Martin v. Wilks: Playing by the Rules in Employment Discrimination Litigation", 55 Missouri Law Review 703, 1990
Fraternities or Sororities
- Phi Kappa Theta
- The Missouri Bar
- The Illinois Bar
- The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- The St. Charles County Bar Association
- St. Charles Area Catholic Business and Professional Association, Member
- Alumni Board of Duchesne High School
- St. Charles Kiwanis
Current Employment Position
- Member of the Firm
- Hackett Custom Builders, Inc.
- Horizon Homes, Inc.
- McBride & Sons Const. Co.
- Thompson Coburn LLP, Associate, 1991 to 1999